Friday 1 February 2008



Haven't had fish for a week now, well...except for the smoked salmon in the sushi. When I was growing up, we used to have fish every other day. Nowadays, it's lucky if I have it once a week. I do miss eating fish though. The reason for the lack of fish consumption in this household is due to the fact that there's not many fish dishes that we can agree on. I grew up eating whole fish on the bone cooked in so many different ways, from grilled to deep fried, curry to hot sambal. I didn't even know that fish can be filleted! The only canned fish i grew up with was canned sardines or mackerel in tomato sauce. While the other half grew up on filleted fish and canned tuna! So, it is always a bit tricky when it comes to negotiating fish meals. When I go back to Malaysia for a holiday, I always try to satisfy my fish craving by asking my mum to cook all her wonderful fish creations.

Back to tonite's dinner...I've run out of my supply of whiting fillets so it had to be canned tuna from the pantry staple. Was tossing between making pasta with tuna or tuna cakes with potatoes and as you can see from the photo, the tuna cakes won. I also haven't made dessert for quite a while since the other half went on a diet kick. So I made dessert as well for the little misses tonite that they can have with ice cream. I had plenty of time today to think about dinner so out of the blue I decided to make rosti to go with the tuna cakes instead of just the usual roast potatoes. And instead of just the normal round shaped rosti, I had them shaped into stars....I definitely need a hobby! And we had steamed broccoli and corns and salad to go with the star-shaped rosti and tuna cakes. We had it with sweet chilli sauce.For dessert the little misses had white chocolate mini cakes with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce.

No comments: